Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Carlson Oxbow Nature Park - Hammond IN

I often drove by it and wondered what was back there. Going down the frontage road of 177th you are consumed getting from Kennedy to Cline, because this is typically why you use this road. As you drive down 177th you here 80/94 above you, you see a small industrial park, and a bunch of trees. However, you never take notice of much else.



The Kennedy side of this nature park was updated 2011 with some new pavement and what looks to be future off roads.  After the construction was completed it seemed more inviting to travel down 177th just for fun, rather than just a means to cross from Kennedy to Cline.  So I did just that.  I tried to figure out how to get back in there.  I knew something was back there because I had heard people talk about it.  Could I drive through, or did I have to find a hiking path?  Eventually I parked in a lot off 177th, near a path entrance.  I took my camera with and walked in.

Very surprisingly there was a very nice board walk zigzagging over the wetland.  Very well constructed, and wide.  The local growth framed the board walk as you walked through, sometimes giving you a peak into the wetland.

The trip seemed long going in, probably because I was shooting photos.  The trip back was very quick.  This is not a path to get a lot of exercise on.  Here is another map showing the paths and estimated distance.


Click on the photo to enlarge. (Same with the other photos.)



Once you get through the board walk onto land again, the area opens up and becomes more scenic.

The red barrier in the background separates 80/94 from the park.

There are several things I enjoy about this nature park.  First is that even though it is in a residential and commercial area, it is still secluded between 80/94, Kennedy, Cline, and the Little Calumet River.  When I was there I saw very few people using the park.  There is also a makeshift bike path that follows the Little Calumet River between Kennedy and Cline.  Off the bike path into Little Calumet River is a short dock to walk out on.  If they were to pave the bike path I would definitely consider biking up there instead of driving.






When I was there I ran into a crew from Hammond who were keeping up the nature park.  I talked to them for a while and found out this is mostly volunteer work.  As they keep improving the paths, planting more plants, and adding some structures, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep it all maintained.  From what I saw, they are doing a very good job.

This nature park is a very good start for NW Indiana.  I had commented to the people maintaining the park that it is beginning to remind me of the Morton Arboretum in Lisle-IL, but different and to a much smaller scale.  The hope of the park is for people to volunteer, helping out with the maintenance and development.  In return they are willing to put up a sign with your name or club, in the section you are wanting to help maintain throughout the year.  I believe they said one of the Boy Scout troops in the area are doing this.

If you get a chance please check this nature park out.  It is small and interesting enough to keep you engaged for a couple hours.  There are places to sit and relax, and you can sit on the edge and look over the Little Calumet River with peace and tranquility.  If you feel like volunteering some time and energy, go on a Saturday morning and look for the people working the grounds.  They are friendly, willing to answer questions, and would really appreciate the help.  If that is not your cup of tea for a Saturday morning, go anyway and enjoy.

For more information you can go to this website:  http://www.hammondindiana.com/carlson-oxbow.htm

Later I hope to have a map plotted of the trail to help you get around.



_________________________________________________________________

You can see a categorized thumbnail of all Towle Theater related blogs by going to StreetPhoto.Me.

Further down this blog post are five buttons to click on: E-mail this, Blog this, Share to Twitter, Share to Facebook, and Share to Pinterest. Please take advantage of them and share this blog post with your friends.

The "219 Music" and "219 Artare owned trademarks of Wes Bushby.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog on Carlson Oxbow Park!! There isn't enough information about this beautiful spot out in the world yet. I moved to Hammond, Indiana about a year ago from South Holland just over the border in Illinois. One of my new neighbors told me about Carlson Oxbow because she knew I was a photographer and that it would be a beautiful spot to photograph. She was right!! It is now one of my favorite spots to go. I think you did an excellent job explaining where the park is and showing the trails and the beauty of the park. Take care. --Verana Stark

Anonymous said...

Hello! Nice blog and pictures. I do have to have one correction, that is not the Cal Sag that runs behind the park but rather it is the Little Calumet River.

Wesley Bushby said...

Thank you! I cannot believe the error has been there so many years now. I have corrected.

Unknown said...

It is a beautiful park. Is it open now. I was concerned about the virus